Monday, January 07, 2008

Not a great idea

The bike I'm building as a sort-of cross bike (essentially a road bike with wider, softer tires) wasn't ready Sunday (I bone-headedly picked up the wrong derailer adapter at the LBS) so I set out on a long route on my usual ride. Clear skies and an air temp of 70 degrees - that's what I like about the South.

About 10 miles in, I threw caution to the wind and started down a gravel road that runs through some very pretty horse-farm country. The whole reason for building the sort-of cross bike is to be able to use these roads, which are hard-pan clay with crusher-run granite gravel.

For the first couple of miles it was OK - just learn to keep the speed down as the gravel really is like small ball bearings. Then I ran into a section that was badly potholed. After dodging around those I found myself on a really long climb that revealed a new distraction - trying to stand while on gravel is like trying to balance on a pole that's on rollerskates. The hard, narrow road tires kept slipping sideways, and the rear wheel spun on every downstroke as it had no traction. I gave up and eventually dismounted, walking the last 100 yards up the hill. A small defeat, but better than crying over scratched paint if I had laid the bike down. The last couple of miles on gravel were relatively easy after that.

When I again hit pavement, it was smooth sailing. Not only was the asphalt a welcome change but I had turned so I had a tailwind.

1 Comments:

Blogger KYScoast said...

I hope I can get a chance to come up there and ride with you some time. I like what it sounds like, I mean the terrain and all. Came through there fairly close by in Hillsborough in the 2004 version of Cycle North Carolina. I remember what the roads were like, hilly. I liked it.

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home