Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Business math

Performance carries Campagnolo, believe it or not. And they regularly put it on sale. So whenever their email arrived with a sale on Campy stuff I usually ordered via the web and had it delivered to their local store, which is a 5-min walk to my office. They offered free shipping to their stores as a way to get you into the place - which I thought was good business sense.

Anyway, they stopped doing that. I found it out when ordering a clamp-on ring for a braze-on derailer. Half price? Excellent. But what's this: shipping that's more than 50% of the price of what I ordered? Five dollars and 63 cents on a ten-dollar order? No thanks. Cancel.

I know they've been bought out but, jeeze, I've never understood the logic of screwing over long-term customers. That's MBA thinking, the kind that had Ford losing Volvo customers after Ford canceled many (if not all) outstanding Volvo warranties after acquiring the makers of the Swedish brick. Let's face it - Volvo used to be known as a expensive, but reliable, auto. Now it's just expensive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home