Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Yes. It's hot.

At this time of year people are always asking why I continue to ride in the heat. Honestly, I'd rather ride in hot weather than cold weather but I suppose that's a personal thing. Unless you are laboring up a climb you are making a pretty good breeze for yourself.

I've also lived in the South for all my years and find the heat to be comfortable. We didn't have AC in the house until I was 13 so the "three shower day" is old news.

The only thing about summer riding I don't like is the bugs. Having something rattling around the vents of your helmet is unpleasant and distracting. Having a mouthful of gnats is an experience I'd rather skip.

One thing I have learned - unless the ride is two hours or more you really don't need to put $5 worth of energy drinks in your water bottles. Eat a banana beforehand and just carry plain water if you are just going to do a quick 20 miles after work. Drinking a quart of some majickal elixir only helps you fulfill the old adage of Americans having the richest urine in the world.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home